Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Metal furniture: Paint Over Powder Coating?

I would like to paint over some metal furniture that currently has a powder coating. Can this be easily done? What is involved? What kind of paint works best?Metal furniture: Paint Over Powder Coating?
I did it to my patio set which was powder coated and it is time consuming but can be done. First, inspect all of the joints, sometimes they use welds that rust and if that is the case wire brush off any loose pieces. Use a good cleaner and make certain any grease or dirt is removed prior to priming. I used the Rustoleum rust encapsulating and resisting primer even though my set is aluminum because the welds were all rusted. Then I used the Rustoleum metal paint and I chose the Textured Wrought Iron Black because the powder coating I went over had a pebbled texture and I didn't want to sand. I love it because it looks like new years later, doesn't rust and can be washed off with a hose. BTW, I do NOT recommend the Hammerite products, they do not encapsulate or resist rust and you will be repainting the set in a couple of years like I am repainting every piece I used it on. Another hint, invest a few dollars in the triggered spray gun attachment for the top of the spray paint. It really helps save your fingers and helps to give long, even sweeps. Also, maintain the distance suggested by the paint manufacturer using light coats to avoid runs and drips.Metal furniture: Paint Over Powder Coating?
Its entirely possible to do so, may take some trial and error though to get something that works well. If you're painting over powder coating, try getting some rustoleum primer and paint of your choice (rustoleum is good metal paint for indoor/outdoor.) The primer goes on first so that the paint can adhere to the surface well, just make sure the surface is clean before the primer goes on, hope this helps. best wishes.
what the others have mentioned are very good tips, but i would like to add one extra step in the very beginning: after inspecting all parts/pieces, lightly sand the surfaces being painted. it'll allow for the primer to grip better, and create a better finish overall. any grit sandpaper is fine, just ask the local hardware store which they think is recommended to sand down powder coating. i think a 150 grit is fine, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment