Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What's better, galvanized or powder coated rat cages?

I'm looking for a good rat cage, in the price range of $30-65.00.





I will NOT buy from PetSmart or PetCo.





I only have one rat, and she's currently being housed in a glass aquarium, and she's not doing too well in it, so I'm looking for something better for her.





I also will not use cage toppers; they are far too diffucult to clean.





Thanks.What's better, galvanized or powder coated rat cages?
Galvanized is definantly better. They chew they powder coated ones up and eat it off the bars. Get the thicker strand wire, I had a cage with thin wire bars and some of my rats could snap the threads in half. Try martins cages, I have boughten and used their ideas in making my cages for rats! Not to hard to clean i just got a wire cleaner brush and spray bottle with weak bleach solution. Took it outside sprayed it down and rinsed with hose, I let it dry and bam it was done.


http://www.martinscages.com/products/cag鈥?/a>What's better, galvanized or powder coated rat cages?
rat urine and galvanized steel are something i personally would not mix!





I say powder coated!!! PVC is ok too but powder coating lasts much longer.





Martinscages.com has excellent cages! both the rat and ferret ones should be considered.. when i had my rats they lived in the F-475 it was ratty heaven.





2 cubic feet per rat is recommended when caging...


here is a page to compare the sizes of Martinscages:


http://www.goosemoose.com/component/opti鈥?/a>





other alternatives for a single rat would be a med/lrg bird cage, or a homemade cabinet style cage...





Here is a whole bunch of cages and thier setups for you to look through so you can come up with something you like;


http://www.goosemoose.com/component/opti鈥?/a>


(my pics are on page 2 under the name boobaloo if your curious)
Definitely powder coated! It's so much better on their feet when climbing and stays clean much longer. It's really easy to clean too.


I am not a big fan of Petsmart, but for smaller cages (especially Super Pet type cages) they are definitely the cheapest. Otherwise, martins cages are good. Just a suggestion, get a friend for your rat. They are so much happier in pairs or multiples. Adding another rat won't take up more of your time or be any more expensive. If anything, it will save you money because it will keep your current rattie occupied and happy. They are definitely social creatures.


For more info on cages and lots of rat info in general, visit http://www.goosemoose.com/rfc


It's a great rat forum with tons of fun people and great information.
galvanized will be better. Powerder coated cages look good, but rats will definatley claw it up and make it look cheap. I would definatley go with galvanized.

No comments:

Post a Comment