Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Should I paint or powder coat my Calipers?

I want to get my Brembo Calipers painted but should I paint or powder coat it?Should I paint or powder coat my Calipers?
Paint will trap in heat and cause your brake pads to get hotter.Should I paint or powder coat my Calipers?
DEFINATLY POWDER COAT
I would just use a high temp engine paint and paint them. That would be easier than pulling them off and powder coating them. Your call though.
There is a specific paint used for brake calipers that is heat resistant and brake fluid resistant. It is much less expensive and less time consuming than powder coating. Plus, powder coating has some definite draw-backs compared to caliper paint.


In addendum: After reading some of the answers given, take this to heart. If you powder coat, you are stuck with that particular color, as powder coating is extremely difficult to get off and redo, plus, a small chip is not repairable without stripping the powder coat off and redoing the job. What does Brembo use.....';Caliper paint';, not powder coating. Also, with powder coating, you will have to re-tap any threaded areas and you have to be extremely careful not to get the coating in the piston region. To reduce heat that you may be ';afraid'; of trapping, there is a ceramic coating that you can have done to your pistons to reduce heat entrapment. That is what we do for the Vipers we race, and we use ';HUGE'; Brembo brakes.
If it was me I would say Powder coat.








Its designed for use in areas such as brakes and looks great. And yes I agree with the person who spoke about heat transfer.
I'd go with powdercoat, or a high quality high temp paint.
Well powder coating will last longer - but the calpier will need to be rebuilt





By using high heat paint like engine enamel


You can spray them and bolt them back on
Powder coat. Paint will melt from the heat.
como esta
powder coat because the paint will get hot and flake off over time
Power coat is much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment