Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Can you powder coat something and cure it in a regular oven?

Well first off forgive me if the question sounds stupid and I sound like a total newbie but theres something that I wanted to powder coat on my car and its a small enough of a piece to fit in my oven. I was wonder would it be possible to cure it in my regular oven. And if your wondering the peice is metal.Can you powder coat something and cure it in a regular oven?
Yes you can use a regular oven to cure the powder coat. You only need 300-500 degrees for the powder coat to cure. However, it is HIGHLY recommended that you use a dedicated oven for this, rather than one that you cook in, since residue may adhere to the oven walls.....Sooo unless you really feel like cleaning out the oven I'd say buy another one for powder coating or use your neighbors ;-)





One more thing...NEVER USE A GAS OVEN, explosion will occur.Can you powder coat something and cure it in a regular oven?
Yes you can, my buddy does powder coating of valve covers, intake manifolds, air cleaners and other items and uses the oven in his kitchen to cure it.





I don't know all the process he uses, but my valve covers he did look damn nice....
you dont take it to a shop cheapo
Yes you can, however, powder coating does require a static charge. You can buy bake viscosity wet applications as well and would probably be easier to apply as it does not require static to adhere to the part. Bake all coatings at the recommended temperature from the paint manufacturer. Also, bake viscosity paints are usually non-petroleum based and non-flammable (but check with manufacture to be safe). Good luck !
You have to buy the powder coater spray system if you don't have it already. I think you only need about 250 or something to cure it, but I warn you. . . IT WILL STINK! And it will stink for the next few times you use your oven. Try it and let us know how it turns out. :)
Nope i doubt you can static charge the item to keep the powder coat on. And even less likely your over gets hot enough to cure it.
Yes you can use a regular oven. Many people use a conventional oven for the process of curing. One of the great things about powder coating is not just the look and durability but that it is simple to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment