Friday, January 8, 2010

How do I control rust on a powder-coated gun barrel?

I own a Mossberg 500 'Breecher' shotgun with a powder coat finish on it. I've had it about two years now and have recently noticed what looks like a dusting of rust on the barrel and the magazine tube after every couple of weeks or so. I don't want to use any abrasive wools as I don't want to ruin the finish of the powder coating. Also, as it is powder coated, I don't want to smear it with gun oil either. Any advise would be appreciated.How do I control rust on a powder-coated gun barrel?
Break Free CLP is excellent. It will remove the rust, and prevent furture rusting.





I was at a competition trap shoot for a weekend, camping in a van. No heat, no nothing. I didn't know what it would be like the first night..but.. It was in the 60's during the day, in the 30's at night, and next to the Great Lakes. I slept with my gun propped against the wall (unloaded obviously) next to my cot...I should've known better. I get up and start getting ready to go out and shoot when I noticed my gun (with a matte, sort of powder-coat textured finish) went from blue to orange. I had to go shoot, but then came back and wiped it all down with Break Free CLP. The rust disappeared, the gun looked great, like nothing happened. Didn't have any more trouble with condensation building up and causing rust..





Put some Break Free on 12ga cotton patches and rub it on nice and generous. Then use a cotton rag (old t-shirt) to rub it in/off. Works wonders.How do I control rust on a powder-coated gun barrel?
Oil it.





One of the advantages of the matte finishes like the powdercoat and Parkerizing is that it holds onto the oily protective film better than hard gloss finishes. It's supposed to be protected with an oil. I like Breakfree CLP, as I find it last longer.
Even a powder coated barrel needs to be wiped down with oil to prevent rust. Would you rather have a rusted barrel, or one that has a protective coating of oil applied?
D J gave you good advice. Break Free is one of the best rust preventatives you can buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment